Our judging process explained
There are many ways it seems that wedding photography awards are judged, always by independent judges, usually photographers, and we decided this was the best way for us to do things too. However we wanted to do things a little different, we know with some awards the judges can see what the average rating given to an image by the other judges is, or the site owners pick a selection to send to the judges, we wanted ours to be completely impartial and not influenced in any way. So here’s how it works:
– 4 judges are selected and they are all winners from a previous round, who better to select the winners then those who won in the previous round?
– We send ALL images to the 4 judges – All images are renamed and randomised in the gallery so the judges don’t know who submitted them.
– Winning images are any image selected by 2 or more judges as an award winner.
– Judges CAN enter the awards but the CAN’T vote for themselves (this means they need 2 votes vote by the other judges to win an award).
– The images where only one judge selected them as winners go in to the ‘Nominee pool’.
– The ‘Nominee pool’ is then sent to the judges and they are asked to select their favourite images (they can’t choose their own images). These images make up the Members Vote where our members get to pick their favourite photo and try and help it win an award too.
Top 3 & Light Blue Award
As mentioned above any image picked by 2 judges wins an award, but some images are picked by all 3 or all 4. These images not only win an award but then go back to the judges who pick their 1st, 2nd and 3rd placed images. We then cross reference their choices and pick the average positions which gives us our top 3 who win awesome prizes by our awards partners.
The Light Blue Award works a bit differently, with all the winning images sent to Light Blue who then pick their favourite.
This sounds awesome, how do I join?!!!
We hope to see your entries in the next round of our awards, who knows you might not just win a much coveted Keeping it Real Award, but epic prizes too!!!
The best wedding photographers are Keeping it Real – click HERE to join us!
Image by award winner Ross Hurley